Groups : Financial Planning Practitioners

Reply to Topic
  • Share:

Public Employees Not Covered By Social Secuirty

Posted on
Marc Kiner
Marc Kiner

Good Saturday morning;

I trust that your appetites have returned after Thanksgiving dinner. I was not hungry yesterday. My appetite has finally returned. I am the office with my son, Aaron, this morning. Aaron is assembling handouts for our December seminars in Cincinnati, Columbus and Cleveland. I am researching the Social Security benefits for public employees that are not covered by Social Security. I am interested in this topic due to the number of impacted employees. Here are some stats courtesy of the Congressional Research Service.

States with the largest percentage of employees not covered by Social Security:

• California 56.4%
  • Colorado 70.9%
  • Illinois 45.4%
  • Louisiana 72.1%
  • Massachusetts 95.9%
  • Ohio 97.5%
  • Texas 52.1%

70% of non-covered employees work in these states.

California, Texas and Ohio represent 48.4% of non covered workers.

As you know public employees that are not covered by Social Security are impacted by the Windfall Elimination Provision (WEP) and Government Pension Offset (GPO). WEP impacts the SS benefits from an individual's work record and GPO will impact the amount of SS benefits that are eligible from a spouse (living or deceased). WEP will reduce SS benefits, but the worker will always receive a SS benefit, whereas, GPO may eliminate any spousal benefit due to the 2/3s offset. Please refer to prior postings on these provisions by joining the Social Security Group.

Your input is requested -  As you can see from the above chart, 97.5% of public employees are not covered by SS. Thus, advisors in Ohio are very concerned about SS benefits for public workers in Ohio. We are based in Ohio. About 25% of our clients are impacted by WEP and GPO. How concerned are advisors in your state? Do many of your clients have jobs not covered by Social Security? Are your public employee clients confused about their SS benefits?

Incentive to participate - Enter into a raffle to receive a $25 Starbucks or Panera Bread gift certificate. 

E-mal responses to mkiner@mypremierplan.com. Do not hesitate to call me 513-351-5707 with any questions or comments.

I look forward to your thoughts on this matter.

Regards,

Marc Kiner, iShade Faculty and Social Security Group Moderator

Respond

Have something to say?   Please Login or Register.

Login

Register