Groups : Practitioner to Practitioner

Reply to Topic
  • Share:

What type of tax software do you use?

Posted on
Sandy Furuya
Sandy Furuya

We have used CCH Pro System tax for many years.  The cost is getting out of hand.  Also they request we renew by 5/15 to receive the discounts etc.  We may consider changing tax software if we can find a comparitive software.  We want to find out what others are using?  We are happy with the software; just the cost is getting out of hand.

Replied on
Bill Meador
Bill Meador

Consider giving RIA a call about GoSystem Tax RS. People tend to think that it always higher than CCH, but that is not always the case. As someone who has used CCH and RIA, I think your staff will find it much easier to use than CCH for business tax returns (for 1040s its about even with CCH) because the trial balance and tax return software are in one piece of software (which results in less import issues between the T/B and tax return). Also since the RIA Gosystem Tax system is web based, there are no software updates for you to install at your firm. 

Reply to Topic 
Replied on Edited on
Phillip Sinclair
Phillip Sinclair

We use Lacerte. It too is getting rediculously expensive, but I continue to stick with it because of their oil and gas package. That feature alone saves us over 100 hours in tax season. I have looked at several alternatives, but none seem to have developed the oil and gas near to the extent that Lacerte has. If anyone has input regarding a more reasonably priced system that has a good oil and gas package, please let me know.

Good luck, Sandy.

Reply to Topic 
Replied on
Harley Snyder
Harley Snyder

I don't consider cost as the primary factor. Ease of use, support and cloud based software are most important to me. For ease of use, the CCH program with entry right on the forms is great. Drake has excellent support (phone response within seconds). Intuit Tax Online (ITO) is derived from Intuit's Lacerte and does a great job on even the most complex individual returns. I wish the benefits of these three were combined in one software offering!
Reply to Topic 
Replied on
Anonymous
Anonymous

I left a larger practice that was using Lacerte and paying $20K plus for the whole package.  I called Lacerte becasue I wanted their software, but not at that price as a sole practitioner.  They offered me a total package unlocked every state (except 990's 706's, 709's) for $5,999.00 guaranteed for 5 years.  Sandy, give Lacerte a call and tell them you want the $6K, 5 year deal as a new customer.

If they try to raise me beyond that level adjusted for inflation after the 5 year period, I'll set up a new corporation under a different name and get the 5 year "intro" pricing again.  Otherwise I'll shop and hope that Drake or other more reasonably priced software companies have raised their game by 2018.

Frankly it's absurd that they are charging long time customers their top price while giving new firms a 5 year low price deal. My old firm was constantly telling them that their "loyalty" discounts are non-existent.

My office is right next door to my old firm that is paying 4 times what I pay to Lacerte.  If they can make money selling their software at $5,999 for FIVE years guaranteed, they should lower their overall pricing.

Reply to Topic 
Replied on
Harley Snyder
Harley Snyder

If one is familiar with Lacerte, I highly endorse Intuit Tax Online (ITO).  Personally, I don't enjoy data entry on Lacerte style input sheets.  Having stated what I don't like about ITO, I love the advantages of the cloud based software and the reasonable pricing.

Today I'm "vacationing" in the mountains of North Georgia, but I've accessed two client tax returns (one completed and one in process) and responded to an e-mail asking for a comparison of 2012 refund with that of 2013.  I can purchase a "pay-as-you-go" individual return for less than $20.  But, for 2013 I purchased an early discount package of 100 returns for $799 (discount price was good to August or September, and I could cancel up to Nov. 7)

Reply to Topic 
Replied on
Melanie Lesko
Melanie Lesko

We also use CCH Pro System. It is expensive but it is powerful. It handles just about everything we do.
Reply to Topic 
Replied on
Stephen Cole
Stephen Cole

I use Drake software. Little bit of a learning curve because of the weird way they lay things out on their screens, but the support is excellent and the price is VERY low. BTB, I'm a one man firm so Drake may not be the answer for a much larger firm.
Reply to Topic 
Replied on
Edward Daoud
Edward Daoud

I have been using drake for several year. The user interface is excellent, their customer support is second to none and that was the number one reason for us to use them. We used other vendors SW that was probably more sophisticated and much more expensive with no regard to customer support. The later was the mean reason for change. Besides drake is relatively inexpensive specially if you reserve your copy in advance.
Reply to Topic 
Replied on
Stephen Hartfield
Stephen Hartfield

After using Lacerte for over 20 years I decided that we couldn't afford the cost any longer. Even though I passed along a substantial portion to the clients, the $6k ~ $7k fees for the year were killing us. We decided to switch to Drake based on a few recommendations received from colleagues. Aside from the lower cost, the software is very easy to use. There are a few quirks, but as mentioned by the other commenters, their support is excellent. ATX is the only other software worth looking at based on comments from one of my per diem CPAs.
Reply to Topic 
Replied on
Anil Rastogi
Anil Rastogi

I have been using Drake since 2007 and quite satisfied. As others have mentioned their support is excellent.
Reply to Topic 

Respond

Have something to say?   Please Login or Register.

Login

Register