Groups : Professional Marketer's Panel

Reply to Topic
  • Share:

Marketing to Doctors

Posted on
Craig Rubin
Craig Rubin

I would like to market my tax and accounting services to area doctors.  I was thinking of direct mail but I think the front desk of the doctors office would dispose of my mailing before the doctors had a chance to look at it.  Any suggestions on getting doctors to take notice.

Replied on
Bonnie Buol Ruszczyk
Bonnie Buol Ruszczyk

I recommend a bit of research before you start spending money on various tactics. Ask any doctor friends or current clients what would stand out to them, what would make an impression and what they recommend for your new practice. I've seen firms even set up short interviews with office managers at local practices to simply "ask a few questions to get your advice as I expand my tax practice to the medical field." You will get great advice while at the same time getting an opportunity to let them know about your practice too. Hear what they say, and make note of it.

As far as direct mail specifically, it may work better than you think if it's unique and fun. Something that shands out will get passed around the office sheerly because it's an interesting piece of mail. You may also want to see about writing (or having ghostwritten) an article or two for the local medial publication or see if you can get a spot to speak before a local doctor's association. Another tactic that I've seen work well is to start a blog with short posts and real practical tips for those in the medical profession. While doctors are somewhat competitive, the targeted nature of their practices mean they are usually happy to pass information and referrals to their colleagues, so make it easy for them to do so. If they read a blog post about a new tax law or strategy that may save them money, they will be likely to pass it along.

Finally, make sure your Website is written in such a way that it is client-focused and talks about this practice area. Medical professionals, some at least, like to be the center of attention, so if it looks like your medial practice is small and a new "add-on," they will be less likely to call. Put them front and center, at least on your services page, and include a link to that page in all your correspondence.

Feel free to contact me with any other questions. I'd be happy to help. Cheers!

Reply to Topic 
Replied on
Jeffrey Pawlow
Jeffrey Pawlow

Craig - To me it is all about how you demonstrate thought-leadership in your chosen niche. It's one thing to hold yourself out as an expert in the medical field and quite another to actually be one. Many firms spend a great deal of energy on the marketing campaign (style) and very little on the actual niche expertise (substance). 

If you feel your at the point technically where you have something unique to offer to this group of medical professionals, then I'd invite you to take a look at a great micro-site that supports a niche practice here. Condley is a full service accounting firm in Texas that has a developed niche in the community banking sector. They've created a great site that connects all of their thought-leadership streams into a single place that can be easily accessed by clients, prospects and referral sources. You could easily create something similar for your medical practice.

When your marketing campaign starts to drive those doctors and office managers to your site, they will find depth and substance behind the "style" of your campaign.

Good luck to you!

Reply to Topic 

Respond

Have something to say?   Please Login or Register.

Login

Register